Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Quicky Supper Tonight: bite-sized BLTs

Our day begins with the alarm going off at 4:50 am and then an almost 2 hr. commute into Boston to go to work.  By the time our work day ends and my husband and I drive another almost 2 hrs. to get back home again, neither one of us feels like cooking anything for dinner. Many weeknights, we eat leftovers or throw something quick and pre-made into the microwave or the toaster oven.  Not always the best tasting or the best for us . . . but it works.

Well tonight was one of those nights.  But I had pinned this recipe for bite-sized BLTs that I found on Pinterest a few weeks ago that I have really been wanting to try and it seemed like tonight was the perfect night to give it a go!  The recipe is originally from Our Ohio by Marilou Suszko.

I love photography but food photography is pretty new to me so bear with me on the pictures!!  Plus, I wasn't sure I was going to post this so forgot to take pictures during most of my prep.

Ingredients:

  • 24 slices soft white sandwich bread
  • 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, finely shredded (about 1 1/4 cups)
  • 1/2 lb. ripe tomatoes, seeded, juiced & drained
  • 1/2 lb. bacon, cooked, drained & crumbled
  • 2-3 tbsp. good quality mayonnaise
  • Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
        Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

        Flatten each slice of bread with a rolling pin.  Using a 2 1/2" cookie cutter, cut 1 round from each slice 
        of bread.  Tuck the rounds into mini muffin pans and bake until lightly toasted, about 6 minutes.  Cool
        for a few minutes then invert onto a baking rack and cool completely.  (These can be made up to two
        days ahead of time and stored in an airtight container.)


        In a medium bowl, combine the lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, and the mayo (enough only to bind but not
        so much that the mixture is soggy).  Season with salt and pepper.


        Fill each toasted bread cup with the mixture and serve immediately.


They really were yummy and pretty refreshing.  We actually had mixture left over so toasted up some english muffins and spread the remainder on those.  Next time, I may sprinkle some shredded cheddar on the top and pop quickly under the broiler before eating.  We'll see :)



No comments:

Post a Comment